It's finally summer time and you are probably ready to have some fun in the sun! If you are anything like me, you are likely trying to soak up every bit of summer because before you know it, winter will be here again. I love biking, taking long walks, swimming, or spending all day at amusement parks during the summer months. All of these activities are great for my mind, body and soul, but wreck havoc on delicate tresses if they are not properly cared for.
It's just as important to take extra precaution in the summer's sun as it is in the harsh winter's frigid weather. Many people don't realize that the sun dries out the hair and may leave it brittle if it's not properly and regularly hydrated; remember, just because there's humidity in the air, doesn't mean there's automatically moisture in your hair. Here are some tips to keep your hair healthy and flourishing during these wonderful summer months.
1. Keep your hair protected by wearing buns, extensions, or twists to avoid total exposure to sun
2. If you are planning to stay in the sun for long periods of time, use a protective sunscreen on your hair before stepping out. Be sure to wash the hair afterwards with a moisturizing sulfate FREE shampoo like Inspiration by Sweet Nature.
3. Stay away from heating appliances such as flat-iron, hot combs, or curling irons. If you MUST use them, be sure to use a heat protector and use them on as low of a setting as possible.
4. Do not wash your hair with hot water; this will dry out the hair. Use cool water instead.
5. Avoid using products containing alcohol, mineral oil, paraffin gel and other ingredients that lead to dry brittle hair. Sweet Nature is void of all of these harsh ingredients.
6. It's okay to moisturize your hair daily. Use a light misting spray or natural moisturizer each day if the hair is feeling dry. You don't have to pile it on, just a little of a GOOD moisturizer should do like Dream Cream or Wisdom by Sweet Nature.
7. Wash the hair regularly, water will help to increase the moisture. Again, make sure it is a moisturizing shampoo that does not contain lauryl/laureth sulfate
8. Deep condition your hair after each shampoo with a moisturizing deep conditioner. Ones that contain oils or butters may help with really thirsty hair.
9. Drink plenty of water to help keep yourself and your hair hydrated.
10. If your hair is natural, moisturize your hair at night and sleep with a plastic cap under your scarf in order to allow the moisture to penetrate your hair.
11. Before plunging into a pool, be sure to coat the hair with either a moisturizer or conditioner if possible. Wear a swim cap, and wash the hair as soon as possible after exiting the pool.
If you follow these simple rules you will be able to enjoy the sun and enjoy your hair!
Don't forget to pick up your Sweet Nature by Eddie hair care kit!